Thursday, February 2, 2012

52 weeks of cooking, Week 5: A booze-infused meal for the ages

I've just finished eating dessert, and all I can say is -wow-. I am absolutely stuffed, and everything tonight was fantastic.

Unspeakably delicious. 


Just for a quick run-down of the menu, here's what I served:

  • Salad with a viniagrette made from red wine my parents bottled in 1998 (it's long since peaked, sadly)
  • Beer bread with Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
  • Abita Amber onions
  • Shrimp Scampi using a riesling (on hand from the frog leg dinner)
  • T-bone steaks
  • Baked potatoes
  • Bananas Foster made with Tortugas Banana rum
I would post recipes, but honestly, nothing that I made is that counter-intuitive. Viniagrette is just some vinegary wine and olive oil, plus some spices. Beer bread is 3 cups of flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 c sugar, and a beer. Scampi is just white wine, butter, garlic, and parsley on shrimp, and can be either baked or sauteed. Bananas foster is just butter, brown sugar, bananas, and rum poured over tea cakes (I halved Paula Deen's recipe and made very large ones).

I'm too food-drunk to post more pictures, or to post the amazing results of this week's baking challenge. Oof.

This was the last picture I managed to get before my camera faceplanted itself in that whipped cream. I don't blame it, it was pretty tasty.


Besides, I have to go clean all the whipped cream off the lens of my camera now.

Om nom nom.

Total prep/cook time: 3 hours, with everything from scratch.
Family happiness rating: This one goes up to eleven!

No comments:

Post a Comment